Sept. 15, 2021
With Law On Hold, Some Schools Implement Mask Mandates
Good morning, readers. An Oklahoma County District judge’s temporary suspension of part of a new state law effectively outlawing school mask mandates went into effect last week. About 20 public school districts have now implemented universal masking according to State Impact Oklahoma, including Edmond, Noble, Putnam City, Mid-Del and Yukon.
• Oklahoma’s attorney general appealed the judge’s decision.
• Similar laws in other states have also been suspended in court (the most recent is Iowa.)
In one Texas town, a mask mandate wasn’t implemented until after two junior high teachers died (you can read this Washington Post story about it). Like Oklahoma, Texas started the school year with a statewide ban on mask mandates.
Oklahoma teachers and school staff are now experiencing breakthrough coronavirus infections despite taking their own precautions — my story on that to come later this week. As always, story ideas, tips, questions or concerns welcome via email or @jpalmerOKC on Twitter. Have a good week.
— Jennifer Palmer
What I’m Reading
- A teacher’s aide in Yukon died Sunday after contracting COVID-19. [KOCO]
- Two Statewide Virtual Charter School Board members have resigned unexpectedly. Both have been criticized over their connections to Epic Charter Schools, which the board oversees. [The Oklahoman]
- The State Department of Education will invest $8 million of its federal relief funding in a plan to retain teachers and improve school leadership. [Examiner-Enterprise]
- The schools where battles over critical race theory are brewing are also diversifying the most rapidly. [NBC News]
Help Us Make a Difference
During times of crisis like the COVID-19 pandemic, Oklahoma needs high-quality investigative journalism. That is our mission at Oklahoma Watch. We produce stories that hold government and public officials accountable and that make transparent what some prefer to keep secret. We depend on financial support from readers like you to sustain our coverage. Help us make a difference.
Thank you to our principal organizational sponsors and funders
for their generous support.